Thursday, October 14, 2010

VALE RON GALLACHER


Last week I was saddened to hear of the passing of Ron Gallacher. Ron had been National Principal of the Australian Pipe Band College some years before me, and was very helpful to me in my early years in this position. As Pipe Major of the very successful Hawthorn City Pipe Band he was someone I always looked up to and respected. In recent years he had been very ill, and despite living in different cities I looked forward to a chat on the phone and always enjoyed catching up with him at Victorian Contests. It was great to see him at the Victorian Pipe Band Championships this year at Haylebury College and have a bit of a chat between judging bands.

Ron's time was always given generously and he tutored the Melbourne Ladies Pipe Band for some 40 years, the Geelong Ladies and more recently the Geelong RSL Pipe Band.

I true bagpipe scholar and a gentleman of the highest order. His funeral today was more like a friendly get together than a sad event, which I am sure he would have appreciated. He will be sadly missed, but not forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment